Friday, June 10, 2011

Garden Challenge Update


OK, so I finally got around to weeding and getting my plants in the ground!  In the pic above, I'm planting the tomatoes.



Joshua was a great helper.  He wasn't strong enough to dig the large weeds out with the trowel (we have lots of rocks in the flower beds due to some landscaping failures of prior owners) so you see he is hammering it in, haha.



He was very excited to see that his Nasturtium has sprouted.



Here he is preparing dirt for some of the tomatoes.



I got Caleb in on the cleanup.  As you can see he's holding a dead azelea.  This is the second one we've had die.  All the neighbors have them so I'm not sure what we are doing wrong.




We have the area all weeded now.  I'm putting some weed blocker down in some of the larger areas in hopes of keeping the grass from taking over so much.




Above you can see where I just planted some tomatoes and various squash.  The brown stuff is some old disintegrating coconut liners I removed out of some hanging baskets.  I thought it might work as mulch.  In the center is a large succulent type of rock plant that seeded itself and has gone crazy.  I saved some of the mint to the right of it rather than weeding it all out.




Here is a sample of what we have to deal with here in Oregon, heh.   Why do snails seem cute and slugs are just GROSS?



Olivia, our Garden Challenge host is giving away some yummy looking gifts!  Check it out. 

4 comments:

  1. It's looking great! My boxes just look like overgrown jungles! LOL I didn't get my vertical supports up in time so the watermelons are running everywhere and the tomatoes are taking over. Your gardens look so neat and tidy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks :)

    Vertical supports? Gee I never knew watermelons could be grown 'up'! Thought they'd be too heavy. That's interesting..how do you do it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. To rid the snails and slugs from your garden you can either put rings of copper or copper tape around the plants they are getting to or put coffee grounds and eggshells around the plants.

    Gardening is so much fun for the whole family!

    I have the great pleasure of Olivia and her family being very dear to us and have been for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for input Bria! Might be able to find the copper but for now I DO have coffee grounds on hand! Will put some out later today. Should it be in a thick ring around the plant or just springled around thinly? That would be great to use my grounds for something useful (my frugality says to use what's on hand and not used for anything before paying for something, lol).

    BTW, I remember seeing a pic on Olivia's blog of when she was at your house (I'm pretty sure though maybe it was someone elses house). It was the one with all the sandwhiches taking up the whole picture.) So when my little boy found out about you all and the tornado he referred to you as the family with the peanut butter & honey sandwhiches or something to that affect. I thought it was funny how little minds think and what they remember.

    Glad you stopped in :)

    ReplyDelete

USES FOR WHEAT BELLY FLAX WRAP RECIPE

Have you seen the Wheat Belly FLAX WRAP recipe? I think the original version had more flax but whatever the case, I'm really thril...