Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Garden Challenge Update


A week ago I bought a few small plants from the garden center.  Yellow pear tomatoes, Romas for making salsa, yellow squash, and zucchini (since the squash we started from seed looks like it is about to die).




I discovered the garden center was selling tomatillos!  I tried them a couple of years ago but they didn't bear fruit.  A friend informed me that you need to have at least two plants for these to work.  So I bought two of them this year.  Hopefully it works out because we'd love to try making green salsa.  


To my surprise I also found some stevia!  Stevia can be used to sweeten tea or you can make an extract with it for other things.   This will be a fun one to add to my herb collection!

Sometime in the coming week I hope to get some weeding done in the flower beds along my fence so I can make room for the squash and tomatoes.     Perhaps I'll have people in my photos then :)



Thanks to Olivia for hosting this Garden Challenge! Check out what SHE is doing this week.  She has a beautiful garden and it is worth the stop.  Here is a link to her post from last week which has a good photo of it.   Be sure to scroll down to the bottom of her post to see what our 'Linky Buddies' have going as well.   :)

2 comments:

  1. Everything looks so green and beautiful! I haven't been very good about getting people in my pictures, either. :-) I did take a few last night of my daughter preparing her herbs for drying. Drying herbs is something we have never done before, so we're anxious to see how it works out and if we did it right! LOL
    I have seen and heard of Stevia advertised on tv, but wasn't sure about all the hype. That might be something we add to our herb garden next time. Excited to see how your garden looks after you get all your new plants in the ground (or boxes). :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't actually tried drying our herbs. We mostly eat them fresh except the basil which I use to make/freeze pesto. I should probably try that though because I have a load of thyme out there.

    Yeah, I was noticing the other day that we have a really lush area right now. Guess that's Oregon..though it means more slugs, hehe. Soon the yard will turn brown though because we don't water our grass in the summer (to save $ on water/sewer). I enjoy it while it lasts :)

    Thanks for stopping in!

    ReplyDelete

USES FOR WHEAT BELLY FLAX WRAP RECIPE

Have you seen the Wheat Belly FLAX WRAP recipe? I think the original version had more flax but whatever the case, I'm really thril...