Friday, May 20, 2011

Let the Gardening Begin!

 

     OK, so the gardening should have begun a lot sooner since we are mostly starting seeds, but we never really get going soon enough!   As you can see, we are using those expandable jiffy pots.  The kids get a kick out of watching them 'grow'.   This year we are using this plant light, but it is too hot and directs light mostly in one spot.  I think I'm going to switch back to the florescent bulbs.




      We have quite a few things started...kohlrabi, cilantro, green onions, yellow squash, zucchini, etc.  However, pictured above, are the stars of the show.   BASIL and JALAPENOS!  I will baby these seedlings above all the others because we love making our own pesto (for pesto pizza of course, YUM) and pickled jalapenos.  Runner up is the zucchini because I found out how to make bread and butter pickles out of them :)    We'll also buy some Roma tomato plants for canning salsa.



      There are other things growing outside, which we started in previous years.  They just keep coming back to bless us.  This is a huge chive plant dwarfing one of our raised beds.  Chives are SO easy and fun to grow.   If you want more plants, just gently dig out a section and replant it in a different pot.  In spring, a mass of purple flowers will bloom that last a long, long time.  When they are spent, snip them off along with their stems so the 'leaves' will flourish more for harvesting.  It's great to have fresh chives available whenever you want them.  They keep growing throughout fall, here in Oregon.  They are pretty much pest free! Woo hoo!  I think we have about eight chive plants growing right now.  Fun to bust off chunks to give as gifts  :)





     In this photo, you can see our rhubarb and thyme plants.  I find the rhubarb harder to care for.  It is affected by frost and drought so you have to really watch it or the stems will go soft, making them worthless.  Great for making pies and jam though.   The thyme practically grows itself  (I LOVE plants like that) and is so fragrant if you brush up against it.  Faith (20 months old) loves to pick at the herbs and smell them (no rhubarb though because the leaves are poisonous).  On the other side of the fence you can see some wild mint growing.  Nice for a refreshing tea!


Clockwise from left: Marjoram, thyme, chives, and rosemary.  Parsley in the center.


      The strawberry patch is going strong.  Sadly, we have a really hard time keeping slugs out of it.  We still manage to get a few pints of jam out of it anyway. 

      Well, that's about it for now.  We'll see what survives.  Other than Miracle Grow, we don't really use anything on our plants.  If it is hardy and grows, I'll plant it again, haha.

Check out the 2011 From Seeds to Harvest Garden Challenge to see what others are doing!

5 comments:

  1. We have problems with slugs, too! I'm sure God made them to serve a purpose, but I have no idea what that might be.

    Your space looks gorgeous!

    Blessings--
    Dana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana- My dh would agree with you wholeheartedly! He has even had nightmares about slugs, haha.

    BTW, by 'space' do you mean my yard or the blog? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I am so glad you commented on our blog. I've been wanting to check out the other gardens in the challenge, but just haven't had the time. Our garden is definitely an experiment. We were able to find the vermiculite but it is kinda pricey. I must have miscalculated on the amount of compost because I found I didn't have enough to completely fill our boxes. I hope it doesn't make a huge difference. We found it at a garden nursery about an hour from where we live. We thought about tilling under our beds, but were so exhausted that evening and had so much to do inside yet that we just threw the weed cloth down and planted. However, it was where the garden was last year, so I'm hoping there won't be too much grass. We have had some weeds, but I think that's more from my husband mowing and blowing the grass clipping into the boxes! We are in the process of getting wood chips to put around the boxes so he won't have to mow so close anymore. I could talk all day about our gardens! I think they are so neat in the their little boxes, but I have to run for now. I look forward to hearing about your garden adventure this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting! Our blog is new so everyone is excited to see some comments :)

    At least with the SFG the dirt is never packed down so it is very easy to weed especially as the box crowds in with plants and the weeds are shadowed. Hopefully you won't get grass but if it is over a previous garden it'll probably be fine. Had to chuckle though...we didnt dig up our grass for the same exact reason! And we also didn't have as much mix as we thought we would but it hasn't seemed to harm the plants any. Have a good day! we'll be sure to check back on your progress. Having some Linky buddies to share the experience is kinda fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to know that we didn't do something 'wrong' to end up with not quite enough soil. It doesn't seem to be hurting our garden. With the hot weather and rain we've had in the last week, our plants have really taken off. I have been without internet all day, but I took pics this morning and will hopefully get them posted this weekend. (crossing my fingers that I get the time) :-) I agree completely. Having buddies is the best part of this garden challenge!

    ReplyDelete

USES FOR WHEAT BELLY FLAX WRAP RECIPE

Have you seen the Wheat Belly FLAX WRAP recipe? I think the original version had more flax but whatever the case, I'm really thril...